Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index
NK Campus Student Union

From its roots as Penn State’s New Kensington Center, Penn State New Kensington has evolved into a modern facility on seventy-two wooded acres in Upper Burrell Township in Westmoreland County. The campus was founded in 1958 in New Kensington (hence our campus name), moved to the old Parnassus School in 1963, and finally settled in at the present-day location in 1966 with the opening of the Engineering Building on thirty-five acres donated by Alcoa.

Today, the New Kensington campus boasts ten buildings which include:

Engineering Building – First building of the Upper Burrell campus. Opened in 1966. It contains classrooms and labs including one of only three biomedical laboratories in the country.
Science Building – Opened in 1968. It contains classrooms, labs, and the office of the Campus Executive Officer.
Theatre and IST Building – Plays host to student social functions. Opened in 1968 and includes the 348-seat Forum Theatre and the Information and Technology Center as well as a study area, TV lounge, and game room.
Administration Building – Houses faculty and staff offices, the Art Gallery, and The Junction food kiosk on the upper level and the office of Student Life, Enrollment Services, and Business Office on the lower-level. Opened in 1968.
Elisabeth S. Blissell Library – The library facilities include:
Books: 31,000
Movies on DVD: 2600
Music on CD: 1500
15 PC workstations
1 iMac for media editing
1 Collaborative workstation for group projects
6 laptops for checkout
Access to over 500 online databases
Athletics Center – Dedicated in 1970, it contains the 660-seat Athletics Center (basketball volleyball, and racquetball courts), weight room and cardio-vascular training center, classrooms, nurses station, athletic fields, nature trail, and picnic pavilions.
Student Union – Opened in 1975 and features the Academic and Career Success Center; that provides student tutoring, counseling, and career planning and placement services. The building also houses the Student Government Association office, the Café 780 cafeteria, the Penn State New Kensington Bookstore, and recreational facilities.
Robert D. Arbuckle Technology Building – With its opening in 1990, New Kensington became one of the University’s most technically-advanced campuses. The building houses the mechanical, electrical, and electro-mechanical laboratories. Originally the Science and Technology Center, it was dedicated and named the Robert D. Arbuckle Technology Building in 2012 in recognition of the former campus executive officer.
University House – Formerly the Hoy House, the building is home to the campus art studios and the office of Bud Gibbons, professor of visual arts.
Conference Center and Classroom Building – Dedicated in September 2001, the Conference Center features a multi-purpose conference room that can accommodate up to 150 people, three smaller rooms that hold sixteen people, two classrooms, and faculty and staff offices
DON’T MISS OUR:
Art Gallery – Hosts monthly art exhibits and is used for a variety of public and campus events. Located in the center of faculty and staff offices on the first floor of the Administration Building.
Information and Technology Center (IT Center) - Dedicated in June 2000, the $3 million IT Center is equipped with state-of-the-art software and computer technology. The Center contains the 35-seat Allegheny Ludlum Technology Classroom; a 20-seat multi-media classroom; a team project/lecture classroom; a networking laboratory; a PC hardware laboratory; and a capstone project laboratory. The IT Center is also equipped to support wireless access. The IT Center is located in the Theatre and IST Building.
Forum Theatre – The 348-seat thrust stage theatre opened in 1971. The first student production was "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum."
Computer Center – Provides access to a wide variety of computer resources including e-mail accounts and Internet access. Workstations feature IBM computer systems and Microsoft software. Located on the lower level of Blissell Library.
Nature Trail - 0.5 mile loop located in the southwest section of our campus.  The trail serves environmental education resources for both the campus community and local area school districts.